Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, July 18, 2008

My attempt at being 1% political!

So have you all be reading More Than a Minivan Mom?(http://www.morethanaminivanmom.com/)? On her newest blog she is discussing the feud that broke out on the View yesterday in regard to the "N" word. Unlike "Minivan Mom", I am NOT an English teacher or someone very political so this kind of stuff usually breezes over me, but I figured I would comment a little.

I saw all views (::hitting drum and cymbal" and takes bow) on this topic personally. I think what Elizabeth was trying to say is that if a white child hears the "n" word from a black child and then says it - how can you teach him/her not to? How can you explain, to a child, that it is okay for his "black" friend to say it and not for him/her? Most people out there know that this word is highly offensive to some people. Personally you can say any word around me and I will take it in the context it was being used. If you call me a "dyke" in a playful/fun way, I won't take offense to it. If you are a teenage boy and call me a "dyke" in a mean/hateful way in, say, the mall - I cringe and want to kick your ass. I have never been comfortable saying the "n" word but I have heard people, both white and black, use it in a silly/humorous way. All people have meant no harm. They were just being silly. Like Whoopi said, the black people have taken the word back and given it "new meaning" when "they" say it. I don't know Whoopi. I just don't feel the "n" word is t a NICE word. Sure black people can say it to each other, just like I can call another lesbian friend a "dyke" and have it be okay, since we are BOTH gay. It's "kinda" the same, although even with the oppression us "white" gays face on a daily basis - our ancestry, as a whole, was not held as slaves - so there IS a difference. Sigh. I don't know. This stuff makes my head hurt but my heart respond.

I sorta feel this way......

You know when you go to a Gay Pride Parade and there are tons of (practically) naked gay men strutting around, throwing condoms and making lewd comments? Or stone-butch type "dykes on bikes" that look like they crush men and use them as "sprinkles" on ice-cream? To me that is feeding into the stereotype most people have of gay men and lesbians. SURE, maybe this is GENUINELY how they feel like dressing/acting - but I don't think it is a fair representation of the "average" gay man and lesbian. I don't own leather chaps, drive a motorcycle or hate men. The gay guys I know don't walk around naked, have promiscuous sex and wear condoms around their neck. I think it is our responsibility, as gay men and lesbians, to represent ourselves in a more "respectable" light. My partner and I are no different than most straight woman and their husbands (although Mel and I don't take gender roles -- I am not her "big daddy"...dear Lord).


Mel & I "fairly" representing the Gay & Lesbian Community...Um?

Which is which?


The same with the black community. If you walk around, using the "n" word as SLANG and something derogatory (listen to most of today's rap songs) -- you are going to paint the WRONG image of yourselves and make the word remain a negative. If you DID use it in a good/fun way - well, that is different. But when you listen to a song that says "shoot that fucking "n" and watch him die" - err, that isn't the GOOD SENSE....make sense? :) I DO get it though. I get Whoopi's point - more so than Elizabeth's - especially since I identify as a lesbian. I just think we all need to lighten up and stop taking things out of context. Listen to HOW a word is being said and by WHOM - and then, if you must, judge. Context is of PRIME importance. I laugh at politically incorrect shit all the time. I find it hilarious quite honestly. But if someone changes their "tune" and says it in a truly mean, derogatory way, well, I am just not down with that.

Can't we all just get along??

On a side note, and more important in my world....

I am getting another fucking, seagull shit, fuck face zit on the OTHER side of my chin. THE SAME TYPE BLEMISH -- ON THE OTHER SIDE OF MY FUCKING, GENDER QUEER, HORMONAL FUCKED, FUTCH-ASS FACE. Sigh. WHAT THE FUCK???? I would rather have an entire face of acne then that random (or in my case, NOT so random) HUGE ASS, STOP TRAFFIC ZIT. I have issues with this. Real issues. I am trying not to spaz out, but I am. I am spazzing. Keep that Zeno fucking piece of fucker away from me. Fuck. I am not happy at the moment. I have another job interview on Tuesday so for the love of all zit God's out there --- fucking shine some fucking love on my fucking face, please?
And breath....

With that said. I should stop for now. I need paxil.

Peace,

Desiree

No comments: