Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Friday, March 16, 2012

Happy Birthday Gay Travel Information!

Happy Birthday Gay Travel Information!


I started Gay Travel Information (http://www.gaytravelinformation.com/) one year ago. My first review was March 16, 2011 at Hotel Providence.


Reflecting on this past year I am absolutely amazed at the opportunities http://www.gaytravelinformation.com/ has provided me.



As the owner of Out & About Travel (http://www.gaytravelpros.com/) I decided to start Gay Travel Information as a way to review gay & lesbian friendly accommodations. My hotel reviews suddenly expanded to include restaurants, special events, theatre and businesses. As of today I have done close to 100 reviews!



People ask how I get such amazing opportunities and say things like "sign me up", the thing is, it has been a long hard road to get to where I am! :-)



I started Out & About Travel in 1999 at the age of 23. I was in debt. Had no extra cash for advertising and very little computer experience. What I DID have was genuine love, passion and drive for all things TRAVEL related. I had worked at several travel agencies including a very well respected gay travel agency in Boston, MA called Urban Travel. These jobs provided me with fantastic experience.



It was in early 1999 when I had mentioned to my boss, Ed, that I wanted to open my own agency someday. I can still see his smug smile and hear his laugh as he called out to the man in the room next to us. Mocking me he said, "John, she wants to start her OWN business!" He rolled his eyes and shook his head. I remember my blood boiling and, after a very honest letter to Ed about what I though of him, I quit the next day! ;)






This was in April 1999. Out & About Travel was born in August 1999. I will be celebrating 13 years as (cough cough) OWNER this August.

"I" am Out & About Travel. I design it's web sites (http://www.gaytravelpros.com/, http://www.gayskiweeks.com/, http://www.gayskitrips.com/, http://www.gaytravelinformation.com/ and http://www.wearegayfriendly.com/), I price out client travel requests, I send out email blasts, I handle the budgiting and scheduling of tasks.....pretty much anything you can think of.

Out & About Travel has survived 9/11. Out & About Travel has survived the creations of Orbitz, Travelocity and Expedia and Out & About Travel has survived the recession.



We have clients from around the world. Our web site, http://www.gaytravelpros.com/, receives over 1 million unique hits per year and we have top placement on google for man search terms such as: gay travel agency and gay travel agent --- free of charge, totally organic, from years of hard work.

This is the only reason I was able to start Gay Travel Information and set up the reviews I have been so blessed with to receive. Out & About Travel is a respected, well recognized name.


When I contact a business to do a review, they are (usually) quite honored to have Out & About Travel spotlight them.

It is truly humbling.



With travel getting more and more difficult to book due to people "shopping online" and booking direct with tour companies (which, by the way, OUCH......stop that....lol....be kind to us travel agents.....especially those like myself who don't charge a service fee and have a price match guarantee....no reason to book direct), I am grateful to the start of this 2nd business!

 
Gay Travel Information is still at it's beginning stages. I am excited to think what this year and years to come will have in store.


Here is a listing (no particular order) of reviews I have done this year:



  • Hotel du Glace (The Ice Hotel) - Quebec, Canada -- Got engaged here! ;)

  • The Salem Cross Inn Restaurant & Tavern - West Brookfield, MA (Getting married here!!)

  • Mill's Tavern - Providence, RI

  • XV Beacon - Boston, MA

  • The Francis Malbone House - Newport, RI

  • Green Land Cafe - Salem, MA

  • Not Your Average Joe's - Seekonk, MA

  • Lola's Tequila Bar & Cantina - Providence, RI

  • Whisky Republic - Providence, RI

  • L' Hotel du Capitole - Quebec City, Quebec - Canada

  • Chateau Frontenac - Quebec City, Quebec - Canada

  • Cook & Brown Public House - Providence, RI

  • Capt's Waterfront Steakhouse & Seafood Grill - Salem, MA

  • Cote' Nord - Mont Tremblant, Quebec - Canada

  • Creperie Catherine - Mont Tremblant, Quebec - Canada

  • Mont Tremblant Ziplining Adventure - Quebec - Canada

  • Blood Rose Rising (play) - Sommerville, MA

  • NYLO Hotel - Warwick, RI

  • Gabriel's - Provincetown, MA

  • The Kearsarge Inn - North Conway, NH

  • Gas Lamp Grille - Newport, RI

  • Darryl's Corner Bar & Kitchen - Boston, MA

  • Stoddard's Fine Food & Spirits - Boston, MA

  • Inn at St. Botolph - Boston, MA

  • The Atlantic Grille - Martha's Vineyard

  • Smoke'N'Bones BBQ - Martha's Vineyard

  • George's of Galilee - Galilee, RI

  • Julian's - Providence, RI

  • Yard House - Dedham, MA

  • Jasper White's Summer Shack - Dedham, MA

  • Melting Pot - Providence, RI

  • Camden Harbor Inn - Camden, ME

  • Spruce Point Inn - Bar Harbor, ME

  • Paragon - Providence, RI

  • Victoria Station - Salem, MA

  • Winter Rendezvous / Stowe Gay Ski Week - Stowe, VT

  • Stoweflake Resort & Spa - Stowe, VT

  • Caffe Dolce Vita - Providence, RI

  • Dolce Villa - Providence, RI

  • Smoke Lounge - Providence, RI

  • Jillian's / Lucky Strike Lanes - Boston, MA

  • Spooky World's Fear at Fenway - Boston, MA

  • Field of Screams - West Greenwich, RI

  • King's Bowling, Lounge & Sports Bar - Dedham, MA

  • Kiwassa Lake B&B - Saranac Lake, NY

  • Tail O' The Pup BBQ - Ray Brook, NY

  • Church Landing at Mills Falls - Meredeth, NH

  • Lago Restaurant - Meredeth, NH

  • The Common Man Inn & Spa - Plymouth, NH

  • The Boiler Room Restaurant - Plymouth, NH

  • Mediterraneo Caffe - Providence, RI

  • Amici Bar & Grille - Providence, RI

  • The Paddock Restaurant - Hyannis, MA

  • Harbor Village - Hyannis, MA

  • Harbor Front Resort - Martha's Vineyard

  • Legal C Bar - Dedham, MA

  • Meeting Street Cafe - Providence, RI

  • The Friendly Toast - Boston, MA

  • Downcity - Providence, RI

  • LJ's BBQ - Pawtucket, RI

  • Beaconlight Guesthouse - Provincetown, MA

  • Ciro & Sal's Italian Restaurant - Provincetown, MA

  • The Sunnyside Daytime Dining - Warren, RI

  • Piecasso Pizzeria & Lounge - Stowe, VT

  • Stowe Cabins in the Woods - Stowe, VT

  • Cider House BBQ & Pub - Waterbury, VT

  • The Salem Inn - Salem, MA

  • Liberty Elm Diner - Providence, RI

  • Ale House Inn - Portsmouth, NH

  • The Friendly Toast - Portsmouth, NH

  • Hotel Providence - Providence, RI

  • Pane E Vino - Providence, RI
To say I am proud of this accomplishment is an understatement.



To say I am excited about future possibilities is an understatement.



To say I am grateful to have a partner that appreciates these adventures as much as I do is an understatement.



I love being able to share reviews with the public and appreciate any feedback I receive. It is truly about finding gay friendly places that the LGBT community will feel comfortable visiting.


I love my job.

I love my life.



1 comment:

Jennifer Walsh said...

You certainly do have so much to be proud of. No one can just start doing reviews, one must real have established herself in the industry. I look forward to seeing where you go next on your career path because you are certainly in store for great things and grand adventures!! You go girl!!! ;) XOXO