Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Happy Couple

Currently I am listening to my amazing neighbors upstairs sing to their 1+ year old baby who is crying relentlessly. Maybe it is because they are singing? ;) Just kidding. I love my neighbors. They are Mormon so I am not sure if they love me as much as I do them, but, nonetheless, they are amazing, respectful people who I feel lucky to "live under".



I have been observing this family for well over a year now. The husband is a lawyer. He leaves the house by 8am Monday-Friday and is usually home by 5/6pm. Their 3 year old runs to the door, jumping up and down, screaming "daddy! daddy! daddy!" --- I hear him say, "Hi buddy!" During the warmer months he plays in the yard with his son, baby in one of those front backpack thingies (so cute), still in his work clothes. They return upstairs soon after for dinner and then head back to the yard, this time he is in more casual wear. I hear him tell his wife and kids he loves them every day as he walks out the door. I have heard him tell his 3 year old son to pick flowers for his mom or to say he loves her etc.,



I have heard the wife compliment him saying how handsome he looks. I have seen her give him kisses. I have heard her say how happy she is that he is home. I have heard her yell out the window as he is parking his car that she made his favorite dinner.





There is no doubt this couple loves and respects each other. Btw, both of their children were adopted. I am assuming one of them is unable to have children. This obviously hasn't been a problem at all.



The wife, a stay at home mom, is incredible. She is with those kids, usually alone, from early in the morning until her husband gets home at night. I hear her playing with them, reading to them, singing to them. I hear her head out and arrive back home from errands. There is always an amazing aroma in the hallway during dinner time.


Its quite beautiful. I like to think they are truly an "All American" happy, healthy family. True I don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but this is what I would like to believe. What I have witnessed leads me to this assumption.



Why am I writing this?

Because I love witnessing healthy, happy relationships. All too often we witness the opposite. People who take their partners for granted. People who disrespect their partners. Fighting. Cheating. Lying. This is as ugly as my neighbors upstairs are beautiful.


I cannot picture the woman telling her husband to "fuck off" or that she "hates him".

I cannot picture the man telling his wife how "hot or cute" some woman on TV is or that he will be attending some major event without her.

 
I cannot picture the woman telling her husband that "his opinion means nothing to her" or hearing him compare her to someone else's wife.


I cannot picture her belittling his "manhood" or him making her feel any less of a woman because she may be in sweat pants and have messy hair when he comes home.


Think about it.


How do YOU treat YOUR partner?

Do you build him/her up and make him/her feel valued and appreciated or do you make them feel small, unappreciated, unattractive and always compare them to someone or something else?

Do you build up your partner's ego or knock it down?





Are you your partner's #1 fan or their worst enemy?



Do you secretly try to sabotage their happiness or do everything in your power to make them shine?


Do you pay attention to the words that come out of your mouth and think how they could make your partner feel or do you purposely say things that could hurt your partner?

 
The golden rule of "do unto others as you would have done to you" is so very true.

That is why so many relationships end.

 
Even the kindest, most loving, patient of people have their breaking point.

How many times do you think you could come home late, forget to tell your wife how pretty she is, or your husband how proud of him you are? How many times do you think you can get away commenting on the attractiveness of other women or men before your partner has enough and looks elsewhere for attention?

Then we scratch our heads and wonder why the relationship ended.
 I have no doubt that the couple that lives above me will defy the odds and stay married forever.

They are doing everything right. I have not heard one loud argument since living here. Do they have disagreements and fights? I am sure. How boring if they didn't. But I am pretty sure they do it in a respectful adult-like way.

 
When my neighbor comes home from work his complete attention goes to his wife and kids.

When my neighbor's husband walks through that door --- you can hear the joy, laughter (noise - lol) of the complete joy of his arrival.



Gay or straight......this is the formula for a healthy, happy relationship.

Respect, trust, kindness, laughter........making each other feel like "kings and queens" or "queens and queens" / "kings and kings" - lol.


It's all very simple.

Really.

1 comment:

Jennifer Walsh said...

It really does just seem so simple. But, it also just doesn't make any sense why people do the opposite.

You always make me feel amazing. You make me feel loved. You make me feel attractive, beautiful, sexy, smart, important, and a priority.

I promise that I will always do the same for you. Our relationship and our neighbors' relationship should be what everyone strives for. It doesn't make sense to do different or to do less for the one that you are with.

I love the way that you love me and I will always make sure you feel the same, too.

This is such a beautiful piece of writing. If only people would read it and really get it. XOXO