Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Ode to Facebook!

Ode to Facebook.


When I first started Out and About Travel I was dealing with a lot of health issues. I had a lot of anxiety which would cause my stomach to be upset, which would in return, give me more anxiety. It was a catch-22 to say the least. I started Out & About Travel because I was unable to hold down a 9-5 job on someone else's watch. Oh, I tried. I worked at travel companies throughout Rhode Island and even a popular gay agency in Boston up on Beacon Hill. I thank God for the experience I gained from these jobs, but I also thank God I had the drive and ambition to start my own company. True, I had no choice. I had to make a living and since I couldn't hold down a 9-5 job, what else was I to do but go into business for myself?


But this isn't a blog about that. This is a blog about Facebook.

Throughout the late 90's and until the mid 2000's....I was very.....lonely. I had an amazing partner who was my best friend and was close to my family. I also had one or two friends I'd see here and there, but mostly it was me, my mom, Elizabeth, aunt and April.





April would leave the house at 7:30am and not arrive home most nights until 7:30pm.
During the day it was me, the pets and Out & About Travel.


I didn't have any co-workers. Nope. No office parties for me! No one to complain about a situation to. No one to help me out of a silly rut. I was the all aspects of Out & About Travel, and although I loved the freedom of being my own boss, and still do, IT WAS VERY LONELY but that was before web sites like MySpace and Facebook came along, than I no longer felt alone. Myspace and Facebook gave me access to the outside world. I interacted with people on a daily basis. Old friends, new friends...family. It was/is fantastic.



 

Facebook especially changed my life. I remember over the summer when my ex and I broke up. I had never felt a dept of loneliness until then. It was Facebook that made me feel connected and "not so alone". My friends were ALWAYS with me. I am not much of a phone person either. I express myself way better through written word or face-to-face. Facebook gave me the opportunity to express myself and get feedback, pats on the back and ego boosts that I so desperately needed. I had/have no shame spilling my heart to people. I am an open book.


I use to go to bed at night, tears rolling down my cheeks with my blackberry tucked under my pillow. I knew that at any point I could sign on to Facebook and be greeted by friends and family. Someone would have words of encouragement or offer to meet up with me, come over etc.,
 

Whenever my phone broke or I had issues with it, I would panic, and still do.


That is my lifeline. The computer. The phone......these are my lifelines. My connections to YOU. My friends all over the world.


Facebook has helped me with the loss of a pet. It has helped me through breakups. It has seen me enter new relationships. I have asked for prayers on Facebook. I have broken down on Facebook. I have shared jokes and raw humor on Facebook and confessed my love on Facebook. It is my way of SHARING my life with all of you. Staying "in touch" ---- "keeping tabs on each other"........When Jen and I entered into a relationship, we couldn't wait to make it "Facebook official" - lol.




Same with the engagement. We wanted to share this info with all of you and provide maybe a tiny ounce of excitement to you all.

 
I have gotten tips on what to do when I am sick on Facebook. I have gotten "trash talked" on Facebook. I have been praised on Facebook.


The list goes on and on....


Just today, I lost all power and my cell phone had died. I had just enough left to post a message on Facebook seeing if anyone knew what was going on. An acquaintance, from Florida noless - lol - found out information for me and posted it. I would've seen this had I headed out to a cafe to do some work, but my power turned on and there was the message waiting for me. Wow. Thank you Betsy for taking time out of your day to help an acquaintance from Rhode Island! :)


So, going back to my 20's, I dealt with a touch of social phobia which was also tied into anxiety. The Internet allowed me to express myself, to BE MYSELF, in the comfort of my own home. Now, I am happy to say, I am extremely outgoing, always "out & about" and interact with people both online and offline but Facebook has played a HUGE part in this. It has re-connected me with amazing people. Friends from childhood. Family members.....it helped me get to know my fiance, Jennifer, better.


I love Facebook.


I love that my mother can keep tabs on what is going on in my life, and befriend all my buddies.






I love that I can interact with my fiances mom & dad online since I don't see them that often.






I love sharing photos and funny stories/adventures with people and receiving feedback.






I also feel like I am no longer alone during the day when I work.






YOU, my community of friends/family on Facebook, are my "co-workers".......I have the greatest fun with you all.






So thank you for being part of my life. Whether in person, online - or both.






I appreciate this amazing creation called - Facebook! ;)




No comments: