Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, August 17, 2008

Washington County Fair - Richmond, RI

I have mixed emotions about the Washington County Fair in Richmond, RI. Melanie and I went this Saturday, August 16th. On one hand it was tons of fun with cute animals, great music and good food. On the other hand it was sad to see the animals displayed. We saw a sign that said the pigs were for sale and could end up in "your freezer" after the show! :( Sniff. That's sad. Although I do like ham, nonetheless. We also saw some goats manhandled in a competition show. They were basically being dragged by a chain. I couldn't watch. I saw many empty water canisters and the animals all looked so tired. BUT, I am sure I am just over-reacting, being the city girl I am.

The crowd was very interesting! It was cool to see so many "country folk" in Rhode Island. I sometimes forget that South County is full of farms. I felt like I was in the Midwest at one point. I may be from the city but I love the country lifestyle. I love the whole "redneck" thing. I do. Southern rock bands. BBQ. The gentle, if not intimidating looking, guys on motorcycles. The ladies in their leather vest. The cowboy hats. Beards. Corn on the cob. Apple cobbler. Turkey legs. The John Deer equipment. Farmer jeans. White t-shirts. You get the idea.

Here are some of the images I caught. I think they represent the atmosphere pretty well. It was a beautiful summer day, around 78 degrees.

Enjoy!

-Des


I love this picture of the cowboy and city girl together.

This picture of Melanie & the cowboy is very, very cool! It came out dark so I played around with the colors and love it.



The fair grounds were gorgeous. I love Rhode Island.

How cute is this? This pretty much sums everything up! LOL!



I love this picture of the "punk rock" girl hanging out at the "country fair"

I thought this kid was "so country" - like he should be on a dirt bike during the early 1980's!


How typical is this picture of a country fair? The Dixie Flag? Um.

How cute is this sheep? Aw!

And they get cuter and cuter! Look at the ears!

This is when I got angry and sad.

Poor guys! :(

My loving Melanie checked out the toilet for me to make sure "all was well" - what an experience that was for me. Woah.

Typical Country Fair photo!

Look, the cow has a trailer! Just like a Hollywood actor! LOL!

The two boys in the background struck me as very "country"

Did Kenny Chesney make an appearence here?

Look, it's Bambi's cousin! Bambo!

But of course, right?

I cracked up laughing when I saw this billy goat named April (inside joke) - too cute!

Gorgeous Richmond, RI

Gorgeous Richmond, RI

Country Fairs are very, veeeeery patriotic!

Melanie had to touch and observe just about EVERYTHING. Everythiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

I love this picture! This is an image everyone has when thinking of a country fair.

It's the cowboy again! He was having a rip'rorin good time!

Cowboy man watching VERY GOOD country band.

Festival goers looking for snacks!


The layout was very cute. They had lots of different food to choose from.

I love this picture of the lady covering her nose. We were close to the pig stalls. Hello (mostly) Rhode Islander's!


I don't know why but the people in this photo remind me of the early 1980's. Hick-town!

Mother and son contemplating what to munch on.


This lady had no problem figuring out what she wanted! Rock on!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was the best fair! I had such a great time with you! I love you!

Unknown said...

Great pictures Desiree! I can't wait to see more. Did you receive my other comment? You are inspiring me to start my own photo blog.

-Karen