Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Sunday, August 24, 2008

My cousins - The Perry Twins

Anyone who checks out my blog has to learn about my cousins, The Perry Twins. I am sure many already know who they are, but for those who don't, allow me to explain.



To me, The Perry Twins are the cousins I grew up with here in Rhode Island. They are kind-hearted, down-to-earth, funny, loving, understanding, talented guys. Growing up we spent A LOT of time together. Whether it be at a special family celebration/function or just hanging out on a Sunday afternoon. We were all pretty close. Some of my fondest memories growing up consist of going to my aunt Chris's house (their grandmother) on a Sunday. We would sometimes play pool, go to an amusement park, walk around the neighborhood, play in the backyard, make silly/stupid videos and most important - talk. My family (on my mother's side) is so loving. Any of my friends who had the pleasure of spending time with us, know what I mean.

My aunt Chris and Uncle Angelo owned a bakery so on Sunday's there would always be lots of baked goodies at their house. We would sit around the table, eat, laugh, watch MTV or move to the living room while "the guys" watched the football game or golf. There was ALWAYS laughter. Always silliness. Always love.

We are a very artistic family. Each one of us was either involved in music, dance or theatre. The closest of all the cousins were me, Douglas, Derek (a.k.a. The Perry Twins) and Layla. Although Layla and I never was as close as Doug, Derek and I, I still have such respect and love for her. I always thought she was so cool. You know how that goes? The "older" cousin with the "cool clothes" and friends? :) We would spend many Sunday's at her house in North Kingston as well. She had a HUGE in ground pool and beautiful back yard and if memory serves me correct a cute club house (not to mention two adorable dogs - Taco & Frito).

Anyway, our family was/is very artistic, very democratic, very accepting, very smart, very in tune to emotions and very loving. This is what I was brought up around. Laughter, silliness, art, music, dance and kindness. It is the foundation of who I am.

As we grew up, Doug, Derek and I went from being "simply cousins" to being friends. They helped me get a job at one of our beloved Rhode Island landmarks (that is unfortunately now gone), Rocky Point Amusement Park. I believe the year's I worked there were 1994-1996!? All I know is it was one of my favorite jobs - ever. Get this, I was the "temporary tattoo girl"...lol. Oh yeah. Do I have some stories for you! ;-) I loved the people I worked with, but mostly I loved being such good friends with my cousins.

Another thing we did A LOT was - DANCE! We would go to some of the gay clubs in downtown Providence and dance until the wee hours of the morning. I was NEVER as good a dancer as Doug or Derek (not even close) but boy, did I love dancing!! :-)

It was around this time that Doug and Derek started teaching dance classes, choreographing and stated a dance troupe called DANCE PLANET. These guys were quite popular in Rhode Island. They performed at RI Pride, at theatres and were just --- amazing. I knew from THEN that they were going to "make it". They had the talent, the drive, the support of their family and each other. That all equals SUCCESS.

Eventually they announced they were moving to California. As excited as I was for them, I was sad because they had become some of the best friends I had. Those who know me know I am a bit on the "shy" side when it comes to making new friends. Once I am IN a situation, for the most part, I am fine, relaxed, open up and have fun. But the whole - "making new friends" has never been easy for me. So having to say goodbye to two of my "friends" was sad. Luckily, at this point, I had my partner at the time, April, in my life.

Unfortunately Doug, Derek and I lost touch when they moved. We would send emails now and then and see each other at Christmas, but I fell into my "shy" mode and didn't want to impose on them (which is crazy I know). This is when it gets hard for me. When I don't see someone for awhile I get very shy about contacting them. At one point April and I were in Los Angeles and I SO WANTED to contact them, but I felt like I would be "putting them on the spot" and since we had such little time (and was sick half of it..lol) I figured I would wait until next time. Stupid, I know. But honestly, I had no control over this. This is why I am on Paxil and seeing a therapist. For these stupid thoughts that enter my mind! :) Ugh. Luckily they forgave me but I still felt awful.

Once Doug & Derek moved to California their career really took off. I don't know much of the details as I have been out of "real contact" until recently, but I do know that they worked/work with some of the TOP names in the dance industry including Deborah Cox, Jania, Niki Haris and Nemesis. They have choreographed for major celebrities as well.

Advocate Photo

LA'S BEST DJ's - THE PERRY TWINS!


They were featured in The Advocate, are top DJ's in Los Angeles/West Hollywood and travel all over including Las Vegas and Miami and most importantly had a HIT DANCE SINGLE (reached # 3 on Billboard I believe) called 'Activate my Body'. The song is HOT. It is beyond catchy. It makes you move. They certainly have made it in my eyes. Currently they are working on their new single with Niki Haris. This should be released soon. You can check out http://www.theperrytwins.com/ and www.myspace.com/perrytwins for more info.



Anyway, this past week I had a semi "breakdown" (see previous post on Paxil). As soon as my cousins received the email, Doug wrote me. His email was very sweet and made me feel so cared for. It is just what I needed. It is what I needed on several accounts. a.) It showed me that they had genuine concern for me b.) It put me back in contact with them and c.) It has re-inspired me to HIT THE GYM! LOL! Have you seeeeeeeeeeen these guys???? LOL!

I am so blessed, so lucky to have such loving cousins. To have/had such a loving family. Yes many of the family members that mattered to me have passed away, but the lessons I learned from them are still alive within me. I was brought up with so much love, as were my other cousins. Our family was/is - just special. Kind, kind people. Lots of laughter and love. We may be VERY SMALL these days, but it's not the quantity - but the quality. We respect and love each other.

I know that I will try to never lose contact with Doug and Derek again. They matter to me. They are my family and ------- my friends. I love you guys.

Here is the video for 'ACTIVATE MY BODY' -- BLAST IT!


Activate My Body - The Perry Twins featuring Jania






Peace,


Des

No comments: