Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Thank you house?


What I am thankful for.

I didn't have an easy morning thus far. I won't bore you with all the details but in a nutshell, I woke up at 5am (the time my partner chooses to get up). I tried to sleep until 6am to no avail.

I proceeded to swiffer (a.k.a. mop) the floor in the kitchen and office to take away any sort of "pet stickiness". Remember, we have 3 cats and one 14 year old silky terrier with bladder issues...a'hem. To some this may seem like a minute task, but I assure you, there is a precise way to do this procedure to assure your floor is actually, um, clean. I then polished, dusted and straightened things out. I put on some fun music to make the most out of the situation and even playfully bantered with my partner. I was actually in a good mood. Up at the crack of dawn, cleaning, yet --- in a good mood.

This is my home. I take pride in it.

My house isn't much. Technically speaking if I didn't rent out the other apartments it would be 3 floors and have 4-5 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, 5 living rooms, 5 kitchens etc., etc., -- yeah, it would be an impressive one family home, but no, I am happy with my little apartment.

I run a travel company from my house.

I relax in my bedroom and catch up on television an hour or two each night.

I cook in the kitchen to feed the people I love.

And currently I am enjoy the smell of pine and decor of the Christmas tree in my living room.

It's not much, but it's home and it's filled with love, well, most of the time.

I have spent countless hours with my (deceased) great aunt Rose (who was like a second mother) to me in this house.

I have laughed so hard with my mother that I thought I would faint in this house.

I have experienced such love and understanding - from both parents - in this house.

I have had deep conversations with my brother in this house.

I have loved and lost pets that were like children in this house.

I've spent time with close friends in this house.

I've helped people though break-ups and new relationships in this house.

I've written some of the craziest and saddest songs in this house.

I've seen arguments and experienced such loving understanding in this house.

I've experienced some of the best and worst news in this house.

I've booked people on honeymoons in this house.

I've sent people from as far as New Zealand on vacations from this house.

I've hosted parties and attended parties in this house.

I've decorated this house hundreds of times. Sometimes with tons of money - most times with very little.

I've been emotionally and physically sick in this house.

I've found strength and courage in this house.

I've had some of the best revelations in this house.
I've laughed millions of times in this house.
I've cried millions of times in this house.
I've dealt with my first broken heart here.
I broke someone's heart here.
I found true love in this house.

Yes, there have been many, many, many experiences in this house. This 100+ year old house that I proudly call home.

Not too many people have had the experience of growing up, in one place, for the majority of their life. I am one of the lucky few. I truly have a sense of place here on Federal Hill in Providence, RI.

This house, this area, is full of history --- my history. Each day adds to it.

The thing I am most grateful for learning in this house is how to love, be kind, considerate and truly, truly caring. In this house I was taught that we should always treat people kindly. I was taught that being "mean" was not okay. I was taught the importance of respect, understanding, structure and --- family. No matter how big or how small my family was/is. I was always taught that family comes first. This is a motto I wear on my sleeve --- proudly.

My family didn't judge you based on looks, grades, status -- none of that. The only thing that ever mattered is how GOOD a person was. How they made us feel. How they treated us and each other. Everyone was accepted with open arms in this house. In this family. All we asked/ask is that you don't break the one golden rule ----- BE NICE. Because for as nice and understanding as we are, we have also been brought up to be tough and stick up for ourselves and to be treated with respect.

This house may not be filled with fancy jobs, lots of money, brand new cars or the very best education. What it is filled with and will ALWAYS will be filled with is LOVE. Acceptance. Understanding. Kindness.

I am proud of my house. My family. My upbringing. My morals.

I am thankful for the experiences that I have been blessed with -- in this house.












-Des

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful blog, honey! :) You are my home xoox I love you!

Anonymous said...

what a beautiful blog, honey! :) You are my home xoox I love you!