Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

F-FLU!!!!

Ah, spring! Time for longer days, blooming flowers, cute little bunnies, baby chicks, warmer temps.....and the flu. THE FLU????? Yes, the @&#!*^#!&#^# flu!!!!

I know that is seems like every time I blog I have one crisis or another going on. Well, that is because.....I usually do!! Not that I am complaining. I have grown rather use to it. I find it humorous and at least it gives me something to complain, err, blog about! :)

Case in point: This nasty flu.

What is one of the first things you do when you get sick? You start thinking, WHO GAVE THIS TO ME???? You get into attack mode, as if that will make it all better. As if the person who "gave" you the cold has some miraculous powers to take it back. This time I am pointing the finger at my mom!!!

My mother is (::knocks on wood::) one of the healthiest people I know. She is the type that can yak one minute and sip a beer/eat pizza the next. Nothing knocks her down. Until THIS cold/flu. I knew I was doomed last week when I was trapped in the car with her on the way to lunch. Yes, lunch. I can barely put my underwear on when I am this sick and she was out & about doing her "thing".



Her coughing sounded like something from the movie, Aliens. At one point she sneezed 10 times in a row. Not covering her mouth/nose once, mind you. Yah. Since my mouth was wide open from the horror, I am sure I sucked in a few virus bugs.

Have you ever seen that movie, 'Fools Rush In' with Matthew Perry & Selma Hayek? Why not? lol. Well, part of the movie is paying attention to the "signs" around you and how they can shape your destiny. I should've known I was doomed when a couple of weeks ago I randomly picked up the 'Providence Journal' and saw, on the front page no less, 'LATE FLU OUTBREAK HITS RHODE ISLAND'. I remember shuttering and thanking God I didn't work in a school or hospital. Surely THOSE were the ones that would get sick, not I! ;)

Little did I know the storm was brewing in me mum, ol' mother, da mama, MA! Who (of course) lives next door to me and who I see, pretty much, every day.

It starts out with a VERY BAD HEADACHE. You then start to feel slightly achy and tired. Then my mouth got excessively dry and POW! Before I knew it I was shoving tissues, nasal spray and anything else that MIGHT help, up my nose.



My mother has been sick since April 3rd/April 4th. I have been sick since April 11th. The kind of sick where you get a collection of soup bowls in the bedroom. Empty juice bottles tipped over. Kleenex everywhere. Medicine wrappings on the floor. Chapstick caps here and there. A stack of pillows to raise your head. Ahh, lovely, lovely, loooovely.

I have blown my nose so much my ribs hurt. I haven't smelt anything in 5 days (having 3 cats and a dog, some may see this as a blessing). Everything taste like snot. Don't say EWWW, you know what I am talking about - you've been there...lol.

The sun is shining outside my window and temps, by the end of the week, will be close to 70. I feel like a ghost staring outside hoping no one sees me. I HAVE TO GET BETTER! My partner, Melanie, who is graduating the University of Rhode Island, has several thousand award ceremonies within the next month I would like to attend. I have trip planning to do for our big summer road trip. I have my mother's birthday coming up. Melanie's graduation party. I hate feeling trapped!



Some may say, TOUGH IT OUT WOMAN! GO OUTSIDE! LOOK AT YOUR MOTHER! GO INFECT THE WORLD! I say to them.....screw that! The only way you will get my ass outside is if I can walk from one room to another without a tissue protruding from my nose. When/if that happens I will GO OUT INTO THE WORLD again. I do feel this sense of rage to infect others. JUST KIDDING, relax. Come here, let me sneeze on you.... ;)

Anyway, this cold has taught me to appreciate just how damn healthy I have been. This cold really knocked me off my feet. I am still floating and can't wait to touch the ground again.

On a side note not too much has been going on this winter. I was lucky enough to go on a 4 night trip to Key West with my mother in February and have been growing my business, Out & About Travel, thanks to Twitter, Facebook and hopefully this here blog. One of the benefits of being sick is all the time you get to spend inside, on the computer. I was able to update lots of Out & About Travel's web site and get a strong following on Twitter. I even started a Gay & Lesbian Travel Social Network.



I will try and blog more frequently. My hopes is to post a cool travel web site (or deal) each day. We'll see how that turns out.

I am looking forward to the 2 1/2 week road trip Mel and I will be going on May 31st. This year we'll be hitting up destinations such as Charleston-SC, Destin-FL, New Orleans & Lafayette-LA, San Antonio-TX, Carslbad Caverns-NM, White Sands National Monument-NM, Albuquerque-NM, Santa Fe-NM, Amarillo-TX, Route 66 and many mid west states on our way back home. VERY EXCITING and much needed.

It is time to end this blog as I am in need of a Sinex fix, chapstick application and good blow job. Sorry, but it's true.

Until next time!


WASH YOUR HANDS!!!!

-Des :)

No comments: